Multi boot with Fedora, XP, and second Linux distro

Andy Pieters mailings at vlaamse-kern.com
Sun Jun 5 08:54:18 UTC 2005

Hi
> I experienced the subject of this email with 2 disks (hd0=XP+Fedora,
> hd1=Ubuntu). Unfortunately it did not completely worked as XP is now
> broken. Precisely XP start (XP logo appears very briefly) but crashes (the
> famous Windows blue screen...).
> Boot loader is grub and order of installations were :XP+Fedora (=OK),
> +Ubuntu (=Not OK for XP).
> (Note: please see hereafter my grub.conf)
> File grub.conf:
> title Windows XP
>         rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>         makeactive
>         chainloader +1
> (...)

I have had similar experiences.  I had a xp installation on a SATA drive, I
added an IDE drive and installed Fedora Core on it.  Then I told my bios to
boot from the IDE drive and I changed my grub.conf to alow me to boot my
utility partition, windows xp, and Linux.

Windows tries to make the boot disk the primary partition or something I
heard.

You should then do this

swap(hd0,hd1)
swap(hd1,hd0)
rootnoverify(hd1)
chainloader +1

I don't remember that clearly but I didn't think I put makeactive on it

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Andy

--