I cannot get back to KDE

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Jun 12 20:41:24 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 16:00, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> --- "Scot L. Harris" <webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 15:43, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > > Dear folks,
> > >    I shutdown one of my computers and when I
> > turned it
> > > back on I get:
> > >
> > > Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds. If
> > you
> > > have not logged out yourself, this could mean that
> > > there is ome installation program or that you many
> > be
> > > out of diskspace.  Try logging in with one of the
> > > failsafe sessions to see if you can fix this
> > problem.
> > >
> > > Other than reinstalling everyting, is there a
> > simpler
> > > way to fix this problem.
> > >
> > > Sorry to bother you again,
> >
> > Sounds like you might follow the instructions it
> > gave you.  I would
> > suspect you are out of disk space.  Boot into single
> > user mode and check
> > if that is the case and clean up the disk so you
> > have enough space to
> > boot.
>
> xfce runs, but KDE and Gnome do not.  I dropped into
> the failsafe shell, but I do not know which
> command/commands to run and fix the problem.  I have
> 6.3 MB free so it is not a question of diskspace.
>
> The following files appear in the home directory
> KDE.startkde.Ra5609
> KDE.startkde.Tq5518
>
> I tried deleting these but when I try firing up KDE it
> gives me the same weird message.

Have you tried creating a new user that uses gnome or KDE?  If that
works then it indicates the config files under the users home directory
have been messed up.  You can try moving those files else where and then
starting up KDE.  In most cases it will recreate the users config
files.  Move them, don't delete them, you may want to recover certain
things you had setup previously.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

There is no comfort without pain; thus we define salvation through suffering.
		-- Cato