RE: Kernel Compiling

I did all that, as well as make clean and make mrproper.  I didn't do
"make all" but I did do "make" which I think is the same by default.

I changed the EXTRAVERSION to something else.  I did get a running
kernel and most of these questions come from running that.

What does make oldconfig do?  Where are the config files for previously
built kernels?

Cheers,
Rob