HP 4550N printer prints extra page

Saurabh Barve sa at atmos.colostate.edu
Tue Mar 22 00:12:31 UTC 2005

Hi,

I know there are two bugzilla entries for my problem, but I forgot to
bookmark them, and I can't seem to google them right now. Anyway, I know
that they are duplicates, and neither of them solves my problem.

I am trying to print to an HP 4550N network printer from two Fedora Core
2 machines. The problem I have is that printing from one machine, the
printer prints an extra page after each print job. However, there is no
such problem printing from the other machine. I am printing using CUPS.
Both the machines have the following packages identical:

* kernel -- 2.6.10-1.770_FC2
* cups -- cups-1.1.20-11.11
* cups-libs -- cups-libs-1.1.20-11.11

I am using the HP Color Laserjet 4550 Printer model available from the
printconf-gui options.

The machine with no problems is using the Postscript driver. With the
other machine, I tried all the drivers with the following results (I
tested with a simple text file):

** gimpprint -- won't print at all
** gimp-print-ijs -- extra page
** hpijs -- no extra page with text file, but extra page with pdf and ps
files (I used gv, ggv, acroread, and xpdf)
** lj5gray -- extra page
** ljet4 -- extra page
** pxlmono -- extra page

The printer settings on both the machines are identical. I also checked
the following files for differences:

/etc/cups/printers.conf
/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip
/etc/cups/lpoptions

Are there any other files that may be different across machines?

Has anybody been able to solve this problem? I could just tell users to
reuse the blank pages (I know there are arguments against it), but what
bothers me is that things work perfectly fine from one machine, and not
from the other.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Saurabh.