Panic! cant' log on to linux

Shelagh oneida at tpg.com.au
Wed Mar 23 22:57:14 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:32:56 +0800, Edward <edward at tripled.iinet.net.au>
wrote:

[snip]
>> Ah yes, it begins to make sense.
>>  I gotta tell you that this may be amore thorny problem than I was
>> hoping  for.
>> I did the redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig and it just spat out
>> "error,  xserver cannot start".
>> I didn't want to but maybe I'll have to reinstall the kernel or
>> something.  This may be due to the
>> trying to get a usb adsl modem going. One of the things they suggested
>> was  to recompile the kernel with
>> extra ppp modules. Maybe (actually most likely) I did something wrong
>> and  need to start again.
>>  Has anyone on this list got one of these adsl beasts going on their
>> computers? Apparently the whole mess is made worse by my ISP's use of
>> pppoe encapsulation.
>>  SOM
>
> I thought roaring penguin took care of this kind of stuff?
>
> I still don't have ADSL where I am, so have not experimented with Linux
> as far as that goes, but I do vaguely remember people mentioning roaring
> penguin for pppoe stuff.
>
> Regards,
> Ed.

Yes, it does, and I have used adsl-setup and checked through all my files
  see if they look right. In fact I was just creeping back into Linux to
try out
  my new found knowledge, eg. when the eciasdl driver says it is waitng for
tap0 it wants you to start adsl-start, when this nasty little problem
occurred.
You have to use the /dev/tun stuff to substitute for eth1 in a usb modem.
I still haven't got a reply to my plea for help on the rp-pppoe forum. I
just
thought maybe someone here had gone through the same process and could
give me
a run-down on the process. However I have to be able to get on to Linux
first
before I do all that.

I will cogitate and read and see if I can work out how to sort out my
recompiling kernel blues.

SOM