FC4 and KDE : my hopes

Arthur Pemberton dalive at flashmail.com
Fri May 20 00:25:05 UTC 2005

Originally I intended to go on a rant about how old the FC3 available
version of KDE is, but I recognize that Fedora is Gnome centric and that
I am not contributing financially to the Fedora Project. As such I would
just like to share my hopes:

-> I hope that all the critical and application squashing bugs fixed in
KDE vanilla will be added in. I think it's only fair considering how
long it has been since the last update. I fell in love with Knotes only
to find out that there was a bug in it which disallowed it from saving
the knotes, making it useless.

And as of today, Kopete stopped working with MSN service. A patch it
already out, but it's available via svn, which is not in any of the yum
repos that I know to work well with Fedora. So I have had to reluctantly
switch to Gaim.

-> I hope that it becomes a little clean to chose KDE totally on install
instead of Anaconda

In all I think a lot of this is my fault in not switching to the
KDE-Redhat project. But I am very grateful to all involved with Fedora
Core 3, and I look forward to Fedora Core 4. I am proudly running FC3 on
3 machines in my room alone.

PS: It would be nice if rpm building process was a little clearer and
simple, and there was a clear mechanism to contribute rpms, in that case
I would be more than happy to contribute rpms to lesser popular
applications that novices may want.