OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

THUFIR HAWAT hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Fri May 20 07:37:10 UTC 2005

On 5/11/05, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com> wrote:
> Point is that Fedora requires two (not three of four)  CD's while
> ubuntu requires one for a comparable installation. Rest of the
> packages can be moved into extras or split up into categories.
> Discussions are being done in fedora devel list.  We can expect
> to see major changes by Fedora Core 5

why should any install of any distribution require more than one cd?
If most users are downloading either multiple cd or dvd .iso's, then
they are wasting their time and bandwith unless they use everything on
those downloads.

all anyone needs is the "minimal," although, of course, what is and
isn't minimal is contentious.  the rest should be installed with yum,
or emerge, or foo, or whatever.

Of course, my rant presuposes an internet connection.

-Thufir