Repository recommendations for FC3 and FC4

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun May 22 20:29:28 UTC 2005

On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 02:34:03PM -0400, Temlakos wrote:
> All right, everyone:
>
> What is the best repository mix for FC3 and the upcoming FC4, that will
> best serve the goals of:
>
> 1.	Avoiding dependency breaks, package conflicts, and the like, and
>
> 2.	Making available the widest variety of applications by a means other
> than going to every one of those programs' home sites, downloading the
> rpm, and running
>
> rpm -Uvh whatever.it.is.basearch.rpm
>
> Instead, I'd like to be able to type
>
> yum -y install whatever.it.is
>
> or
>
> apt-get install whatever.it.is
>
> without getting a message of:
>
> libwhatever in package whatever.it.is.releasevernew conflicts with
> libwhatever in package whatever.it.is.releaseverold

There is a package called medley-package-config which activates a
dozen of cooperating repos (depending on your distro)

	 http://atrpms.net/name/medley-package-config/

See also

	 http://atrpms.net/repos/

Of course not much can be said about FC4 yet.

> Or:
>
> Error: Broken dependency
>
> I've been mixing dag, at-stable, and extras, and I suspect that I'm
> creating more problems than I thought I'd solved. Right now I'm looking
> at a red-dot throbbing screamer because clamav is available for update
> on at-stable but won't install because of a package conflict with an
> earlier package from the fc3 official repo.
>
> And I haven't been able to use synaptic since atrpms published a new
> version of apt.

synaptic is in at-testing.

> I realize that I might not be able to get this sorted out until FC4
> comes out and I just do yet another clean install. But this time I don't
> want to create any more dependency or package conflict problems.

Probably not neccessary, all repos I know of have proper upgrade paths
from distro to distro. E.g. an apt-get dist-upgrade or yum upgrade may
be all you need when FC4 support is available in the repos.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net