FC4 does not work, 'out of the box' for me; GUI/X11 fails

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 21:08:28 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 14:55, Andy Green wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>
> > There's no need to store all of the intermediate rev's of the
> > iso images, and it would most likely result in less bandwidth
>
> Here's a wild thought, maybe the whole idea of ISO images, sampling a
> copy of the rest of the repo state base-only or with updates, is
> actually the evil part here.

Partly right.  It's obviously horribly wasteful and not particularly
useful to have a gazillion mirror copies of the giant every-changing
workspace of fedora archived away.  However, isos make good bittorrent
and rsync targets and as such make sense for bandwidth sharing and
saving.

> AIUI Anaconda is moving towards being based on yum... in that case just
> a small bootable ISO image with no RPMs in it, which then demands to see
> a local or remote yum repo so it can find the latest versions of all
> packages in a standard way, and so throwing away precooked ISOs of
> anything from the Fedora mirrors, might be a solution.

Maintaining local yum repos means you have to mirror a lot of gunk
you'll never use and relying on remote ones means trouble when
things get out of sync.  What we need is a more intelligent way
to share bandwidth without cluttering the world with useless
snapshots.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com