FC4 does not work, 'out of the box' for me; GUI/X11 fails

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 22:17:48 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 16:21, Andy Green wrote:

> > However, isos make good bittorrent
> > and rsync targets and as such make sense for bandwidth sharing and
> > saving.
>
> Bittorrent and rsync works fine with directories of files.

There's a bit of intelligence missing about changing contents
during the transfer.  Isos at least force a frozen snapshot,
but that might be a solvable problem.

>  > Maintaining local yum repos means you have to mirror a lot of gunk
> > you'll never use and relying on remote ones means trouble when
> > things get out of sync.  What we need is a more intelligent way
> > to share bandwidth without cluttering the world with useless
> > snapshots.
>
> A cacheing proxy might be interesting to solve this objection, rather
> than an explicit mirror.  Then nothing is pulled down that is not a
> selected package for at least one proxy user.

That helps on the local side when you use a repository that has
a single URL but it doesn't work with yum's mirrorlist concept
and it makes things worse if a bad file copy is ever stored in
the cache.  Those are solvable problems, but this approach doesn't
help with the issues of source bandwidth or out-of-sync mirrors.
Is there anything that looks like a proxy on the client side but
can use bittorrent-style downloads on the back end to get the files
and verify correctness?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com