Sharing files (ext. drive) with Windows from FC4

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Oct 12 18:45:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 11:39 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> Not really, I was more concerned about passwords. For some reason, I
> assume them to be transimitted as clear text, correct me if I am
> wrong. More importantly, how safe is samba on an untrusted LAN?

They're only transmitted that way if you want them to be.  Samba is
under your control.

Define untrusted...  Family with no technical knowledge, LAN with a
person you expect to cause you problems, LAN with people you don't know
on it, etc.

You can share things as read-only over Samba if you want to, and there's
various ways to restrict who can access what.

I read messages from the public lists.