installing a grub/lilo bootloader on the MBR of a MOUNTED hddy

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Thu Oct 20 14:45:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 02:54:54PM +0100, Khaled wrote:
> Hi
> could you give me instructions on exactly what to do please...
> Ive never done this before and dont really understand bootloaders very well.
> Khaled
Well you boot either with the rescue disk or if you use Disk 1 the
type: linux rescue at the boot.
Eventually if you follow the prompts (you don't need networking) you
will given a choice of partitions which have been identified as linux
root partitions to mount. Choose the one you want to mount. It will be
mounted on mount point /mnt/sysimage. Let us say your disk is /dev/hda
 The you could type:
grub-install  --root-directory=/mnt/sysimage  /dev/hda

and then reboot.

Is that clear enough.

We really don't have any enemies.  It's just that some of our best
friends are trying to kill us.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University