Block IP

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 12:30:35 UTC 2006

On 8/31/06, Claude Jones <claude_jones at levitjames.com> wrote:
> On Thursday August 31 2006 8:12 am, Jacques B. wrote:
> > On 8/31/06, JeeBee <JeeBee at troefpunt.nl> wrote:
> > > Thanks Mike and Ankush, both suggestions are really nice.
> > > I installed and am running denyhosts now :)
> >
> > I had it installed on another system at my previous location.  Works
> > well, sometimes too well.  I ended up getting my own IP blocked a few
> > times from typos when trying to log in.
>
> That one is easy to solve. Add yourself to hosts.allow which overrides any
> entries in hosts.deny
>
> --
> Claude Jones
> Brunswick, MD, USA
>
> --

Good point.  I was coming from a dynamic IP.  But I could have added
the ISP's subnet in the hosts.allow.  Wasn't a big issue as it only
happened a few times and was only a R&D box to play with so it could
always wait until the next morning when I went in and removed the
entry from host.deny.  So never explored a better solution.

Jacques B.