unable to have X display with ltsp

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 23:49:20 UTC 2006

> <cite>
> #That is, if ws004 has an IP address of 192.168.0.4 and a MAC
> #  address of 00:50:56:59:7F:81, it can be specified by any of the
> #following:
> #
> #    [ws004]
> #    [192.168.0.4]
> #    [00:50:56:59:7F:81]
> </cite>
>
> Only IP number is working...

You need an entry for ws004, etc in /etc/hosts to be able to use
[ws004].  Not sure about MAC address.

> <cite from same file>
> #  XF86CONFIG_FILE
> #     If you want to create your own complete XF86Config file, you can
> #do so
> #     and place it in the /tftpboot/lts/ltsroot/etc directory.  Then,
> #whatever
> #     you decide to call it needs to be entered as a value for this
> #     configuration variable.  For example:
> #
> #        XF86CONFIG_FILE = XF86Config.ws004
> </cite>
>
> This gives a message at boot: "XF86Config.ws004  not found"

It needs to be in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc

> It is impossible to have a correct log file: if (by chance) the screen
> does not turn to standby before you can read anything about the errors
> found in the XF86Config file, the message on the console tells you to
> look at some log files you cannot read because they are located on the
> TC  and you cannot access to them locally (no key gives you access to
> the local tree) nor remotely: the only open port being 6000!!!! telnet,
> ssh etc. are forbidden....
>
> So, what can I do?

In /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf add (to the global section);
SCREEN_02 = shell

When the TC boots up (and X crashes), press CTRL-ALT-F2 and you should
see a prompt.  IIRC, the Xorg log is in /var/log or /tmp.  You can
then scp it back to the main server.  There might be an easier way to
do this, but I have not discovered it yet.

> One more question: at the early beginning of boot time, I have this message:
>
> in.tftpd[5265]: tftp: client does not accept options

I do not think that is serious.

Good luck,
Chris

PS - the ltsp docs are pretty thorough, if somewhat confusing:
http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/Documentation