No bios password - no spare partition - Howto install FC6?

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus200612 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Wed Dec 6 18:13:07 UTC 2006

"Alastair McKinley" <amckinley03 at googlemail.com> writes:
> Lol. I thought this might come up.  It's actually my laptop (well sort
> of, out of my research grant, its a grey area), but in order to
> satisfy the IT people they install the OS(s) on each computer
> themselves, its a condition of getting network access.

Well, if it were me I'd try:

      1) taking the disk out and putting it into another computer and
         installing from there.  I actually did this when upgrading
         two ancient x86 desktops to fc6 here.  Neither wanted to boot
         from CD or usb.  If you don't have a laptop-ide to
         desktop-ide converter yet, they are worth their price in
         gold. (usually ~$7 at stores)

      2) Buying a new, bigger laptop disk Some IBM laptops are
         password locked via an entry on the disk itself.  Swapping
         disks will unlock it.  Disks are always getting bigger with
         lower power so upgrading to the largest laptop disk is
         something I tend to do anyway.  It also gives me a fallback
         if the installation doesn't go so well.  (A new 160GB laptop
         disk is ~$160 mail order).

-wolfgang