OT(?) FC2 Very slow printing to HP DeskJet 870Cse

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 3 21:47:33 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 11:52 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>Can anyone point to help on configuring the printer device?
>>Perhaps interrupts are disabled, or sth the like.
>

> BIOS settings for the parallel port?  If I have mine set to auto,
> various distros of Linux don't notice the port, but if I manually pick
> IRQs for it, things are fine.  Likewise, the modes for using the port,
> EPP, ECP, etc., might need to be manually set to suit the printer.
>
> An obvious thing that springs to mind if the printer was working, then
> wasn't, is the condition of the cable?  If you've moved anything and
> it's a bit dodgy, that could be the root cause of problems.

BIOS reports Base 378 IRQ 7 ECP.
I put a brand new IEEE compliant cable on, hoping to make it faster.
This printer has never been used with Linux before.

I added an entry in /etc/modules.conf for parport_pc, no joy

$ cat /etc/modules.conf
# I2C module options
alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7 dma=3