FC4 with dual SATA Drives

Ian Mortimer ian at physics.uq.edu.au
Wed Feb 15 04:00:15 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 14:42 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:

> > In my experience, (at least) one of:
> > 1.  Loose cable.
> > 2.  Drive starting to fail.
>
> I had this a couple of weeks ago. I replaced the cabling, then the
> drive and while banging my head against the wall, a student came by,
> looked into the opened case and noticed in passing that the
> Southbridge fan would not rotate ... :/

Overheating is another possible cause (as you discovered).

Here it was mysteriously coming and going on a research student's
desktop.  The clue was it only happened on hot afternoons:  the PC
was near an open window on the sunny side of the building.

Closing the window and turning on the air conditioning fixed it.  The
disk is still working years later.

--
Ian