How to compile in Fedora?

David Boles dgboles at comcast.net
Wed Jan 25 09:28:53 UTC 2006

James Wilkinson wrote:
> David Boles wrote:
>> Mandriva's package named kernel-source is named kernel-devel in Fedora
>
> Not quite. rpm -qi kernel-devel says (among a lot of other things...)
>     Description :
>     This package provides kernel headers and makefiles sufficient to build
>     modules against the kernel package.
>
> It's not the full source.
>
> If you do need the full source, see the FC4 release notes: by default,
> they're the home page in Firefox. Look at section 6.2.2, which explains
> all this.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> James.

You are correct, of course. And I should have been more clear. NORMALLY ;-)
when Mandrake/Mandriva people ask for kernel-source they are looking for the
headers and makefiles and do not really need the 'whole thing'. Mandriva now
supplies a kernel-source that is the 'whole thing' and a
kernel-source-stripped (not sure the name) that is the headers and the makefiles.

Heads up fedora users. People are leaving Mandriva more and more. You will see
more of these kinds of questions.

--

  David