my fc 4 isnt yum'y enough!

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Jan 3 22:50:04 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 14:37 -0800, jackc wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> this list has informed me of the error of my ways installing
> rpm's directly and not using yum.
>
> however, i installed everything and i see no yum as the root user.
>
> what else am i missing?
----
using rpm is fine - yum uses it too.

It's just that yum can automatically obtain and install dependent
packages thereby alleviating much of the headaches that you would likely
have simply trying to install things via rpm commands.

to verify that you have yum...

# which yum
Note the # which means that I done an 'su -' to root

# rpm -ql yum|less
Note that this shows me where the yum rpm puts it's files

# yum update
Note that this checks all installed repositories for updates

Which of these commands doesn't work for you?

Craig