Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Jan 21 11:55:21 UTC 2006

> >I don't buy that. It's a key process for RH to be able to provide
> >sufficient stability for RHEL.
> >

> Of course it is but its also a Free and open source community operating
> system. Win-win.
>
> >I am still waiting for RH to act community-oriented, i.e. to let the
> >community participate actively in their decision processes, to let the
> >community actively work on packages in FC, etc., etc.
> >

> You can actively work on packages by providing patches.
I could do (and did) that upstream, I could do so (and did) with RHL,
before Fedora, I could do so with RHEL.

In comparison to RHL, nothing has changed for me, except that I am
building and shipping packages through the FE build system, instead of
building them myself. Both situations have/had pros and cons, which
approximately balance each other.

So, in the end, nothing much has changed "by Fedora having been
introduced".

> >> The development methodology of "Release early, Release
> >>often" combined with donations from Red Hat combined with the many
> >>community sub projects within the Fedora Foundation is what provides
> >>value for Fedora.
> >>

> >The community did not implement the Fedora Foundation.
> >
> Community cannot implement a foundation.

Well, the question is: Does it need a foundation?

> > Reducing costs/spare taxes usually is the reason for founding
> >foundations (I've been working for one for >10 years).

> You might not understand the law in the US to determine tax savings.
Right, I am not familiar with US tax law.

In Germany, donations to a "non-profit foundation" are tax deducable up
to a certain amount, and are commonly used by enterprises to reduce
their taxable income.

Working principle: Enterprises found a foundation, thereby reduce their
taxable income and delegate employees/resources to the foundation.
Somewhat oversimplified, the only thing a foundation must prove is it
not to work "ROI-oriented". Typically this is basic research and long
term R'n'D. Fedora probably would comply to the tax laws' criterions.

Ralf