ATI locks up too :-(.

Rob Andrews rob at choralone.org
Wed Jun 14 09:54:07 UTC 2006

On 14-Jun-2006 03:19.43 (BST), Tom Horsley wrote:
 > ATI X700 PCIE video card.
 >
 > I switched to the radeon driver a while back because the fglrx driver
 > started hard hanging the system anytime the X server exited, but now
 > it hard hangs anytime the X server starts, so I'm back to radeon
 > driver again :-).

The fglrx drivers are chronically unreliable. The freeze-on-exit issue
has existed for a while now. Compounded with the fact that they don't
support DRI and video overlay being enabled at the same time, you are
better off using the radeon driver, even if the DRI support is
experimental.

It might even be better for ATI in the long run if they adopted the open
source driver and extended that to support the extensions that are in
their proprietary driver and use a model like the MGA mga_hal.o as a
suppliment for extensions which they cannot release the source for[0].

[0] Worst case scenario, of course, since we'd all much prefer it if
    the whole driver was open source.

rob andrews                       :: pgp 0xb35ff721 :: rob at choralone.org