Addressing a SCSI film-scanner - long, sorry.

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Mar 8 10:48:57 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 09:49, Paul Howarth wrote:
> >>See if it detected your hardware first. Look in /var/log/messages for
> >>the time that you inserted the module and see if anything relevant
> >>appears.
> >
> > There is absolutely nothing there for that time.
>
> Not a good sign. You could try "rmmod tmscsim" and then do the modprobe
> again just to check.

Done that, and tail shows it being allocated IRQ 10.  It's correctly named, so
I believe that it is the correct driver.

> >>You might also try "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" and see what appears.
> >
> > No attached devices.
>
> Again, not a good sign,
>
> Uf it was the right SCSI driver (I'm not convinced about that), you
> *might* need to also load the "sg" (SCSI Generic) module before the
> Hardware Browser could see an attached scanner. You'd certainly need the
> sg module to use the scanner with SANE. However, the empty
> /proc/scsi/scsi suggests to me that the tmscsim module is not the one
> you need for your card.

Again, all documentation I can find refers to tmscsim as the correct driver.

sg and scsi_mod are now both loaded (no entries into messages when I
modprobed, so perhaps it already was loaded).  scsi_mod is listed as being
used by sg, tmscsim and sd_mod

> Three years ago you might have been using a different driver.

I believe that is true - I didn't recognise the name of this driver.  However,
this driver was written by a Tekram engineer, so it would seem reasonable
that it replaced an older one.

> There are some scanner-related hints at
> http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/dc390/problems.html which might be
> appropriate for you.

Yes and no.  It sounds as though it should help, but I feel to be up against a
blank wall.  The first recommendation for tracing missing devices is to type
'cat /proc/scsi/scsi', which returns no devices.  Next, they suggest
'cat /proc/scsi/tmscsim/H' where H represents the adapter device numer,
usually 0.  There is no /proc/scsi/tmscsim.

Reading http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/dc390/README.tmscsim made me aware
that there is more than one version of DC390, but I checked the card's bios
configuration utility, which tells me that it is the basic DC390, using the
SCSI chip AM53C974A, which ties in with the info I got from tailing messages.

Next I tried 'echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 3 0"' which gave me 'No such
file or directory' - the file exists, but is 0B long.  I gave the parameters
from my dim memory, so I could be wrong about them.  The SCSI card BIOS
reports Bus~ 00h, Device# 00h, Function# 00h, IO Address EC00h.  Most of the
settings in there appear to be for SCSI drives.  ISTC that nothing in there
had to be changed for using it with the scanner.

> > Is there any relevance at all in the fact that all my FC4 boxes show
> > messages entries about automount being unable to find .directory?
>
> Dunno.

I am still worried that all the drivers I can find date back to 2000 at the
latest.  Maybe they are too old, but then I think this driver was included in
the distro.  I'll keep reading, but I'm very confused.

Anne