kernel compilation: what's the "PHY device support"??

Hi,

 I'm compiling 2.6.15.5 kernel on my FC4 box, and I
find there is an  extra "PHY device support" there
compared with 2.4.* kernels.  What's this tree of "PHY
device support" doing? Anyone can give me an example
of a actively in-use PHY device?

 Can I disable the whole "PHY device support" without
affecting my gigabit cards and 100M bps network cards?

 Thanks a million.