q re network stuffs & FC5

Wandering around in the /etc/sysconfig tree, I find that there seem to be a minimum of 3 each of all the ifcfg-xxxx scripts scattered around. And while I don't seem to be able to see any links, if I update one of them, the other 2 will appear to have been updated at the same time.

No damned wonder I can edit the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts version of ifcfg-wlan0, restart that interface and then see that iwconfig nor ifconfig appear to reflect the changes I've made.

So which is the master version of these files, and how many of the friggin dupes can I actually nuke to get rid of the effect of trying to make a change and having that change ignored?

Right now there are:
root diablo sysconfig]# ls -lL `locate ifcfg-wlan0`
-rw-r--r-- 3 root root 314 May 10 21:21 /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-wlan0 -rw-r--r-- 3 root root 314 May 10 21:21 /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-wlan0 -rw-r--r-- 3 root root 314 May 10 21:21 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0

Can anyone explain just what the heck is going on here? This is driving me to drink, which I don't mind all that much within limits (2 beers, I'm diabetic), but its making me buy the gas too!

--
Cheers, Gene