MIDI

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sat Nov 11 17:11:09 UTC 2006

On Saturday 11 November 2006 16:56, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 11 November 2006 15:40, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Hi Anne. The only time it would be necessary to DL soundfonts (unless of
> > course you wanted to try different fonts) is if your using a non Audigy
> > (emu10k1) card. For non EMU cards which don't have a hardware synth,
> > you'd need to use Qsynth for example, and DL some soundfont or other, and
> > load it onto Qsynth, which will then stand in for the missing hardware
> > synth on your soundcard.  GM=general midi.
>
> OK - so I can ignore that bit.
>
> > Check in alsamixer. The "Synth" slider needs to be up. I think this
> > control used to be named "Music".
>
> It was almost at the top, and the red light is on.
>
> > The snd module that needs to be loaded for the synth is.
> > snd-emu10k1-synth, but IIRC you can't load the soundfont if this isn't
> > installed, but may be worth checking in /sbin/lsmod.
>
> Yes, it's there.
>
> Any more ideas?
>
> I remember a couple of years ago I couldn't get kmid to work at all, but
> kmidi worked fine.  That makes me wonder if I should be looking for some
> other midi player.
>
> Anne

Anne. You can play midi through Rosegarden4, but the last time I tried I found
that some parts were missing, drum stuff I think. It's a shame that Kmidi was
dropped post FC1. It used TiMidity as a synth I believe, and always worked
with no problems, and still does on my FC1 install. I've already spent a lot
of time looking for midi players, and all I found were really ancient ones no
longer being developed.

This is not much help, but have a look at http://alsa.opensrc.org/pmidi

Nigel.