Problem with kde screensaver on FC6

William W. Austin waustin at speakeasy.net
Sat Nov 18 18:42:58 UTC 2006

On 2006-11-18 08:22:53 Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> William W. Austin wrote:
>
>> Considering that I also have one other problem (kde keeps diddling my
>> menu system every time I log in, unfortunately in ways that screw up
>> other things), I suspect that I'm going to have to bite the bullet
>> and
>> blow away EVERTHING in my home dir and start over, putting thins back
>> one at a time until I find what the problem is.  Sigh.
>
> Define "diddling my menu system"?
>
> -- Rex

"diddling": (exceedingly colloquial - sorry) :-)

Any and/or all of the following:

A) Some entries from various menus are removed -- they previously
pointed to valid executables on the system and the relevent "*.desktop"
entry still exists under /usr/share (or other appropriate point), and I
can read the file, so it isn't a simple permissions change.

B) Some menus are removed and replaced with empty menus of the same
name with the extension "-#" added where # is a number 1-4 (I ton't
*think* I've seen a higher number here than 4, but I could be wrong).
For instance the last time I booted, "Settings" had been replaced with
an empty "Settings-2" menu.

C) In my ~/.kde/share/applnk directory additional "spontaneously"
directories are created.  Sometimes they are named for the changes in
item "B)", above, and sometimes not -- it looks random.  Sometimes the
directories are empty but sometimes they include a reduced set of the
contents of the "original" menu which was there before the latest
restart of kde.  (I don't *think* that an earlier menu has ever been
deleted.)  Due to this problem, at one point I had the following
directories in my ".kde/share/applnk" directory:
	Favorites (original directory, complete - more than 20 entries)
	Favorites-1 (4 entries)
	Favorites-2 (3 entries)
	Favorites-3 (1 entry)
	Favorites-4 (NO entries)
FWIW, this seems to happen to directories which are "normal"
directories as well as to smylinked directories, although when a
symlink directory is copied, a new local directory is created.  As I
(think that I) said before this happens ONLY to myself and one other
user - root (root does NOT get the screensaver problem but
  does get this one).  I have an fc5 box which demonstrates this
behavior but not the screensaver problem as well, but my "~/.kde"
directory there is based on my "~/.kde" directory on this machine, and
I suspect that somewhere along the way I have hosed up both of
them - I just don't know what.

-Thanks
william w. austin                               waustin at speakeasy.net
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."