weird routing question

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Nov 22 18:33:02 UTC 2006

fedora wrote:

> 10.XX.70.0   0.0.0.0    255.255.255.0     U       0       0      0  eth1

> */# route del -net 10.XX.70.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 10.XX.70.1 eth1

You don't need the gateway stuff, it is not on the line you want to
delete.  Without the gateway part it should work.

> SIOCDELRT: No such process/*
>
> Can anyone help me understand what I am doing wrong on the route del
> command and also if it looks like I am moving in the right direction to
> remove the latency issue?

Latencies are very often DNS problems of some sort.  Check the
/etc/resolv.conf nameservers, and do a dig on them by hand from the box
in question

dig google.com @ my.first.nameserver.ip

and see what the latencies are like.  If the latencies are good, try a

tcpdump -i eth1 port 53 -s0 -X

and try to cause the delay, maybe you can get a clue.

-Andy