weird routing question

fedora fedora at fpu-tn.com
Wed Nov 22 19:19:54 UTC 2006

Andy Green wrote:
> fedora wrote:
>
>> 10.XX.70.0   0.0.0.0    255.255.255.0     U       0       0      0  eth1
>
>> */# route del -net 10.XX.70.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 10.XX.70.1 eth1
>
> You don't need the gateway stuff, it is not on the line you want to
> delete.  Without the gateway part it should work.
>
>> SIOCDELRT: No such process/*
>>
>> Can anyone help me understand what I am doing wrong on the route del
>> command and also if it looks like I am moving in the right direction
>> to remove the latency issue?
>
> Latencies are very often DNS problems of some sort.  Check the
> /etc/resolv.conf nameservers, and do a dig on them by hand from the
> box in question
>
> dig google.com @ my.first.nameserver.ip
>
> and see what the latencies are like.  If the latencies are good, try a
>
> tcpdump -i eth1 port 53 -s0 -X
>
> and try to cause the delay, maybe you can get a clue.
>
> -Andy

Interesting - when I run tcpdump and try to connect on port 143 (IMAP
port) it shows the immediate connection to that specific port - in other
words, no latency on the server end - it appears to be on the way back
to the desktop to complete the connection that the latency comes into
play.  Here's what is interesting - when I kill the tcpdump it shows the
following:
392 packets received by filter
299 packets dropped by kernel
I only ran this for approximately 30 seconds on our live system and only
about three or four users' computers connected during this session.
Your thoughts - anyone.
Doug