Intel Woodcrest Crash under heavy load with FC5 and MySql

Albert Graham agraham at g-b.net
Thu Sep 7 04:17:18 UTC 2006

Hi Ed,

Ed K. wrote:

> .... 'no' to all your questions, but in my experience:
>
> I bought a computer with an SuperMicro OEM motherboard, the H8DCE
> http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron/nForce/H8DCE.cfm

Looks nice,
> and I had nothing but the same trouble you tell about. With this
> motherboard and a 3ware 9500S-8.
> Using the onboard SATA was not a problem - only with the 3ware.
Strange, because I also have about 40 of these boxes with that card and
(but using Intel CPU's) and never had a problem!

> I sent the card back to 3ware, upgraded the bios in the motherboard,
> and updated the firmware in the
> drives - all no luck.
We'll I don't think 3ware are being to helpful right now, even though it
really looks like scsi disk errors

> Head over to https://www.3ware.com/
> those guys are on top of things!

> Then I put a Tyan S2850G2N in the server no problems!
> http://www.tyan.com/PRODUCTS/html/tomcatk8s.html
>
> I question the OEM line of SuperMicro.

We'll I dealing directly with SM and my vendor and I have very
impressed, on a number of occaisions I have had BIOS fixed within 12
hours, and in fact, they already done two BIOS fixes on this board for
me already one was in about 4 hours.

> ed

Thanks
Albert.