Disaster now no GUI

Jim Douglas jdz99 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 12 23:32:09 UTC 2006

I had a confilct with hwdata and yumex removed it and all it's
dependencies....by mistake.

No more GUI, no nore bash shelll.  But it didn't destroy all my
configuration info for networking webserver etc...and I'm hompeful I can get
things back to normal with some help...

What I did to try and fix it was was upgraded to FC5(from FC4) but now I
can't start my GUI

startx says "bash: command not found"

system-config-display lets me change setting but on exit there's an error
message that says.
Windows Manager warning: failed to read from file
/usr/share/themes...metacity.xml

I checked and there is no directory "themes" it must have been deleted by my
yumex mistake.

How can I get the Windows Manager Bback?  What do I need to install/config?

A final message I got says,
Windows Manager warning:  Lost Connection to Display: ':17.0":
most likely the xserver was shut down or you lled/destroyed the windows
manager.

Can someone tell me the best way to restore my windows manager/GUI?

Thank you!,
Jim

Jim