Re: Sendmail 8.13.8...has anyone made their own RPMS for FC5?

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, Les Mikesell wrote:

I agree as much time should be spent on FC6, but I don't see how that a
DOS isn't a DOS. Just my opinion, and if I am wrong, correct me, please.
Thanks!

Well it is probably no more of a DOS in practice for a remote site to
connect to your sendmail and crash a child such that the parent will
start new ones as needed than to connect and talk very slowly, keeping
that process busy for a long time.  You can do the latter to any MTA.

True on the latter. But that has and will always be the case. That is not the fault of the software, however. In this case, an extra problem is causing a DOS on top of what you describe above. And if your network is a victim of an attack based on that, it can be just as costly as a security flaw allowing a breach of information.

E-mail: sebenste weather admin niu edu                                  ***