Checking internet connection without a winbox

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 07:44:42 UTC 2006

On 20/07/06, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 08:44 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > No, it's not an internal winmodem, it's a regular cable modem.
> >
> > I would imagine that a linux dialer program could do it. I did not
> > know about the aformentioned kppp, and I'll look into it.
> >
> > As for Guillermo's suggestion about checking half/ full duplex on the
> > modem, I see nothing of the sort in the modem's control panel. So I
> > don't know one way or the other.
> >
> > In any case, the computer and modem in question are in Haifa and
> > because of the current situation we are not returning there for at
> > least a few more days. Good thing that I backed up the previous night
> > and I have all my files, email, etc on disk with me here. When I
> > return I'll look into kppp and see where that leads me.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> > http://dotancohen.com
> >
> I am sorry I mentioned kppp. I was confused by the dial in phrase also.
> But I need some clarification.
> Plugging in you computer to the internet port of the cable modem should
> just work.
> The Windows configuration stuff that comes from the cable company is for
> configuring the cable modem to talk to cable company's server.
> When I was in this position (with my dsl company, and I believe my cable
> modem colleagues did the same) I called the internet suppler and told
> them to help me configure the modem by hand. They can do that. At least
> they did for me.
>
> I hope things quiet down soon.
> --
> Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>

Sorry for the late reply, Aaron. I've been away from the computer for
a while (you know why) but now I'm back.

The parrots at the ISP don't know how to configure the modem via
direct connection to a linux box. Their only solution is to use the
windows dialer. When they hear "linux" they get quiet. I can connect
via the router, though, I want to eliminate the router as a possible
source of problems.

What is a typical IP for a modem? Maybe if I just knew it's IP, then I
could get into the control panel and figure out what to do.

Thanks.

Dotan Cohen