A really good article on software usability

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 17:23:43 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 16:39 +0000, Scott van Looy wrote:

> Agreed. As an example, for Les, if you're anything like me, think how many
> times the fact you have to type "y" has saved you from accidentally rm ing
> something?

Never.  I'm no more likely to get it right when prompted than I was
before I hit 'enter' on the command in the first place.  Less likely
in fact because if I expect to have a 2nd chance I won't think much
about it before hitting enter and then I'll answer y automatically
to the prompt because that's what I do every time.

> Ever hit send in an email client only to notice something wrong with the
> email as it whizzes off?

No, I've learned to look before I hit send.  The things that go wrong
are the things you can't see, like where you have a mix of line
endings and auto-wraps, or the things you don't catch no matter how
many times you look.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com