dual boot, lvm appearing as raw filesystem in XP

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 23:15:31 UTC 2007

Jim Cornette wrote:
> Ian Malone wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is really a Windows question, but I thought it more likely that
>> someone here would know the answer:
>> I've just upgraded the Windows half of my dual boot to XP Pro SP2
>> (and am busy installing all the drivers for devices that FC6
>> recognised).  One thing that's worrying me is that my LVM partition
>> shows up as a drive containing 'raw filesystem'. I'm slightly
>> concerned it could get clobbered by accident, does anyone know a
>> way to hide it from Windows?
>>

> I wondered about the LVM showing but never tried to prevent it from
> being visible. I am the only one using the computers where the raw
> device shows up though.

Well, I had two worries; the first was something happening
'automatically' (in the same way that Outlook Express just managed
to delete a month's worth of emails from the server), the second
was drag-dropping into the wrong place (doubt it would actually
allow you to do that, but wasn't keen on testing).

> Using hide in grub to hide the LVM from DOS/Windows might work as the
> link below illustrates.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#DOS_002fWindows

Hadn't thought of that, works, thank you.

--
imalone