Integrated development environmnet

Mark Eggers mdeggers at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 11 01:14:34 UTC 2007

Les wrote:
> Hi, everyone,
> 	I am looking for recommendations for an IDE for Fedora.  I checked the
> website, and Redhat has said that JBOSS will be available in summer this
> year, but I am wanting to get started on some new projects.  I have
> become much enamored of Solaris tools from about 5 years ago, but was
> wondering if there might be something (free of course) available that
> some of you have experience using.  EMACS is OK, but I am really rusty,
> and don't seem to be picking it up again very well, Greymatter vs age
> issue I guess.  Anyway, any recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
> Les H

Depends on what you are developing.  A yum search "integrated
development environment" on Fedora 7 comes up with the following:

geany
eclipse
anjuta
kdevelop

Netbeans is also available.

Bluefish and Quanta are website - specific development tools.  I think
there is an IDE for Mono as well.

If you're going to spend some time getting used to Emacs again and
program in Java, there's the JDE (Java development environment) from
http://jdee.sunsite.dk/.

I bounce back and forth between Netbeans and Eclipse for Java.  I like
the interface with Eclipse a bit better, but I like the defaults and
flexibility with Netbeans a bit better.

While you can develop C/C++ with the above IDEs, I've never tried this.
  I've usually stayed with vi or emacs for non-Java languages.

The geany home page (http://geany.uvena.de/) has a nice writeup and may
be just what you need to get started again.

The Eclipse IDE has plugins for a lot of environments, including Spring
and JBoss.

Hope this helps.

/mde/
Just my two cents . . . .