ATI proprietary linux installer

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Jun 19 22:45:26 UTC 2007

Gene Heskett writes:

> On Tuesday 19 June 2007, Barry Yu wrote:
>>Any one has experienced the ATI proprietary linux installer for FC6 or F7 ?
>
> Yes, painfull is an understatement.  Then to top that off, I get it installed,
> and *then* find they've dropped support for a well under 5 year old card,
> (rv-280 based) screw the feds and their 5 year regulations on that subject.
>
> So then I bought an nvidia card.

Fast forward 5 years from today.  Nvidia drops support for your card, from
their drivers. And the old drivers do not work on Fedora 15.

I guess you'll buy a newer card, then. That, of course, is precisely why
both ATI and Nvidia would drop support for their older cards.

I suppose that a few hundred bucks, every 5-7 years, is probably not the end
of the world, but I'd still feel rather disgusted, in your shoes. If I
wanted to be treated like that, I'd still be using Windows. But there's a
reason I run Linux, and going back to non-free software and device drivers
has always seemed like a step backwards, to me.