Fedora 7 freezes two or three times per day

Philip Walden pwaldenlinux at pacbell.net
Mon Jun 18 16:18:43 UTC 2007

Charles Curley wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 12:37:05AM +1000, Langdon Stevenson wrote:
>
>> My Fedora 7 system is running well, except for the nasty habit of
>> freezing two or three times per day when I am working.  First: all
>> windows stop responding to the mouse and key board, then soon after, the
>> mouse freezes as well.
>>

> Have you successfully run other Linux disties on this hardware? Try,
> e.g. Ubunutu 7.04, from a live CD.
>
> A few more things to try....
>
> Try using different applications. Use Konqueror instead of Firefox,
> etc.
>
> Run memtest86 overnight. If that locks up, you probably have a
> motherboard or RAM problem.
>
> Set up an SSH log-in for the system, and have that running. Then when
> the display locks up, if the system is still active, it's probably a
> video driver issue. top, ps, /var/log/messages and other tools may
> give you some hints. Then, can you gracefully shut X down?
>
> From what I see here, I think filing a bug is premature. You don't yet
> know the component to file against, and without a definite cause a bug
> report is not very useful.

I am experiencing the same problem on my old but trusty HP OB6000
laptop, P3 600MHz

- This platform has previously run FC4, 5 and 6 with no problems.
- This FC7 was a full install, not an upgrade.
- I have turned on full kernel logging and no event is recorded. It just
stops, cursor freezes.
  Hard power reset required.
- Seems to be associated with updates. In other words, either a little
after or during
  an update session, the system just freezes up. It seems that whenever
I refrain from
  updating, I do not have a problem.

Philip