tons of spam

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Tue Jun 19 16:26:00 UTC 2007

"jdow" <jdow at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I may have some "sharp words" about the spam fighting tools that come with
> FC7. I have little time to play with it. And it does not like my laptop.
> So I have to download a bunch of debug files so I can track it down. (The
> bug is in X-Windows so the gnome based folks want me to download and
> install an unknown number of gnome debug files. Go figure. When I have
> time I will humor them. But it's hard as heck to debug a frozen machine
> that has kicked the display out the window, metaphorically speaking. The
> SpamAssassin RPMS that came with FC4 and FC5 seemed to be incomplete when
> I attempted to use them in the past. And for an effective SpamAssassin
> install SOME mention of the Spam Assassin Rules Emporium is properly
> required, as is mention of FuzzyOCR and a couple other gems.
>
> (SARE is so effective it was included in the massive DDoS attack that
> struck Spamhaus as well. Some spammer got REALLY peaved, po' baby.)
If you run your own mail server, I've had good luck with dSpam.  It
takes a little while to get it trained since it's Bayesian filter based
but I now get overall accuracy of over 95% and the spam identification
is over 93%.  I should add that I get *very few* false positives
(currently 12 out of over 15,000 e-mails) and several of those were
right after installation when the filter had very little data to go on.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce