Double summer time?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Tue Mar 27 17:36:10 UTC 2007

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Tim wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 17:45 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
>> I don't recollect the question being asked during install, but I do
>> forget stuff.
>
> Post install, you get the chance to set the clock.  If your system is
> NOT dual boot, you'd never notice any difference between local or UTC
> time, so long as nothing went wrong, the system would take care of
> everything for you.
>
> i.e. If you, or NTP, sets your time to 4pm, and you set your timezone
> correctly, you'll get the right time showing, whatever system your
> hardware clock is set to.

True enough as long as the machine is up across the transition.  If the
machine is down across the transition and your hardware clock is local
time, you'll need to set the new correct local time before booting.  With
a UTC hardware clock, that step is never necessary.  (If you run NTP, I'm
not sure if the system clock will be reset immediately on boot or if it
will go through a catch-up phase.)

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences