No eth1 wireless

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon May 14 17:14:00 UTC 2007

On 14/05/07, David G. Miller <dave at davenjudy.org> wrote:
> "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I seem to have corrupted system-config-network while playing with
> > firestarter. I've since gone back to the default Fedora firewall
> > (system-config-securitylevel). I see two devices in the Devices tab:
> > eth0 (Type: Ethernet), which is active, and eth1 (Type: Wireless),
> > which is inactive. When I try to activate eth1, I get this
> > inappropriate error:
> > Determining IP information for eth1... failed; no link present.  Check cable?
> >
> > Why does it think that there should be a cable? Before rebooting I was
> > getting this error:
> > When I try to activate eth1 (wireless):
> > Determining IP information for eth1...dhclient(4733) is already
> > running - exiting.
> > exiting.
> >  failed.
> >
> > How can I start eth1? Note that SELinux is set to Permissive.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> The "check cable" message is just a carry-over from pre-wireless.  It
> means that the wireless can't establish a link level connection.  With a
> wired connection, this is equivalent to having a working cable in
> place.  Thus, "check cable."

Alright.

> Some things to try are:
>
> Open up your access point (no encryption, authentication, ESSID is
> broadcast, no MAC filtering) and see if you can connect.  Your security
> exposure is fairly minimal if you only leave it open briefly.

It's not my access point, it's the university's. I have no control
over the router settings.

> What gets reported if you do a "iwlist eth1 scan"?  If nothing then your
> system isn't even talking to the radio.  If you get a list of APs, then
> some higher level glitch like authentication is causing the problem.

[root at localhost ~]# iwlist eth1 scan
eth1      No scan results

However, there is something there:

[root at localhost ~]# iwconfig eth1
eth1      unassociated  ESSID:off/any  Nickname:"localhost.localdomain"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency=nan kHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Bit Rate=0 kb/s   Tx-Power:16 dBm
          Retry limit:15   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

> I get the "Determining IP information for eth1...dhclient(4733) is
> already running..." message whenever I switch my laptop from wired to
> wireless.  Just do a "kill 4733" (or whatever PID gets reported in the
> error message) and try it again.

I didn't think of that. I'll try tomorrow at the university. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://dotancohen.com/howto/command_line.php
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/600/abs.html