Installation from Windows

Jochen Wiedmann jochen.wiedmann at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 07:28:12 UTC 2007

Hi,

just in case, people aren't aware of this: After several years of
installation using various methods
(CD, DVD, network, local file system, ...) I have just finished my
first installation using UNetbootin
installer. See

    http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html

This definitely is (for me as a 70% windows user) the most convenient
installation method ever.

Basically, it works like this:

- You download a Windows installer package. You run it. It installs
itself on your system by modifying the
  Windows boot procedure.
- You are asked to reboot. When the reboot is done, you are queried
whether you want to start Windows
  or the Fedora installation.
- If you choose the latter, you are in the standard Fedora
installation procedure.
- The first time you boot Windows again, you are offered to remove
UNetbootin from the system. If you
  decline, then you can deinstall it later on using the standard
manner of opening System Settings/
  Add/Remove Packages.

I am very impressed. I understand that this installation procedure
cannot be promoted officially by
Fedora, as it depends on 3rd party software, but I think its worth
spreading the news I have tried
to create a page in the Fedora (Docs/Drafts/Installation/FromWindows),
but could not, due to lack of
permissions. My intention was to copy

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromWindows

Perhaps someone else can do that.

Jochen

--
Look, that's why there's rules, understand? So that you think before
you break 'em.

    -- (Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time)