looking for suggestions

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Tue Nov 13 22:55:11 UTC 2007

Have Dell Optiplex 320 and 19" Dell FP analog display. Motherboard video
has ATI Embedded.

Display was OK on Fedora 7 (I tweaked it around a bit)

Upgraded to Fedora 8 - display looked weak, too bright, gamma way off,
fonts thin, ugly.

Switched to runlevel 3 and ran 'system-config-display --reconfig' and
set it up anew. Did a start X, logged in as root, still pretty bad.

Created a new local user, logged in as that user, still looked bad. Took
a screengrab (Ksnapshot) brought it over to my usual desktop, the
screengrab looks perfect on my screen.

Is it possible that the video display is affected by the kernel
parameters that I am passing at boot [pci=noacpi timesource=acpi_pm] ?

Suggestions anyone?

Craig