Understanding the Xorg.0.log file

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Nov 27 05:31:23 UTC 2007

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 22:22:39 -0500,
  zephod at cfl.rr.com wrote:
> I am trying to understand the data in the Xorg.0.log file to try to solve a problem I am having with my screen resolution.
>
> I have an ATI Radeon X800 graphics card which has 3 ports on the back, one S-video and 2 DVI. The log file shows this:

xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.7.196-1.fc8 just went from updates-testing to updates.
You might find that that helps with your problem. It did help with a
problem I was having with my 9200.

There is a way to associate a monitor definition with a particular connector.
>From the xorg.conf man page:
       With  RandR  1.2-enabled  drivers, monitor sections may be tied to spe-
       cific outputs of the video card.  Using the name of the output  defined
       by the video driver plus the identifier of a monitor section, one asso-
       ciates a monitor section with an output by  adding  an  option  to  the
       Device section in the following format:

       Option "Monitor-outputname" "monitorsection"

       (for example, Option "Monitor-VGA" "VGA monitor" for a VGA output)