PAN Failure -- Help

MIKE - EMAIL IGNORED m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 01:52:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:24:57 -0500, Roger Heflin wrote:

> MIKE - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
>> I am talking to you from my laptop (running F8 and pan-0.132-2.fc8)
>> because my desktop (running F7 and pan-0.131-1.fc7) suddenly stopped
>> working.  When I start pan (under KDE), its GUI flashes briefly and
>> then disappears.  Other things, including Firefox and Apache seem fine
>> so far.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>> Mike.
>>

> If you have not already, open a terminal window and try starting it in
> there and see if it will give your an error.
>
> It puts its config files in ~/.pan2 and there are some things in there
> that could be delete without it being and issue (cache) but others are a
> bit more trouble if you delete them.
>
> If you don't get an error I would try doing "mv ~/.pan2 ~/.pan2.bad" and
> then start it again and see if it works, if this makes it work, there is
> something in the .pan2 directory that disagrees with it.
>
>    iv=ch               Roger

Thanks for this.

Starting from a command line results in the dump below. Can anything
be discerned from it?  (I deleted the long memory map, which I will
post if anyone thinks it would be useful.)

I renamed the .pan directory as suggested, and pan then works.
I guess if there is no better suggestion, I'll restore the
.pan directory and start moving out files, starting with the
latest modified (tomorrow at standard -0500).

Mike.

--

$ pan
*** glibc detected *** pan: free(): invalid next size (normal):
0x0a4c07f0 ***
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/libc.so.6[0x178df1]
/lib/libc.so.6(cfree+0x90)[0x17c430]
pan(UUCleanUp+0x1da)[0x81a510a]
pan(_ZN3pan7Decoder7do_workEv+0x60c)[0x8176e6c]
pan(_ZN3pan10WorkerPool6Worker18worker_thread_funcEPvS2_+0x12)[0x81a41a2]
/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0[0x502f028]
/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0[0x502d66f]
/lib/libpthread.so.0[0xd2844b]
/lib/libc.so.6(clone+0x5e)[0x1e180e]