Where the h%^&^%$#! is KDE 4.1 ? Part II

Mike mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 17:19:22 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler <at> chello.at> writes:

> Don't worry, 4.1 is coming soon. But flaming us on the mailing lists
> won't make it come any sooner! (Personally, it even makes me want to
> intentionally delay it to make you suffer, I'm that kind of person. :-p
> But luckily for you, I want to provide the best experience for users who
> _aren't_ posting flames like this and we have no way to provide updates
> only for nice users.

Been watching this with a wry smile probably like many quiet Fedora users
who generally remain silent, try to work with the excellent facilities
that the developers create in response to positive feedback, and get to
have the best operating system and safe secure software available on the
planet!

The grumblers should remember the history of Linux and Fedora, and think
about how we have slowly gone from a totally MS dominated computer world
to one in which a very significant minority now use exclusively linux on
their machines... but it has been a long and far from easy road.

We have a superb and continually developing set of choices that we don't
have to pay for and occasionally policy decisions mean that there is a delay
before the latest and greatest components of our systems are fully working.

I was aware of the time needed before KDE4 became fully functional - and in
the meantime I am using Gnome but testing KDE in F9....  in a matter of
weeks the KDE4 system will be very functional, and will be further
developed and fine tuned.

Despite the flame baiting going on here I expect that the majority of KDE
users are out there being patient, with some testing and feeding back
useful information so that the developers can fix bugs that arise sooner
rather than later....  we owe it to the developers to help fix things
- it is a community effort, so for those of us that download and use
and who pay no money we should remember it is part of what we owe to help
the testing process if we are not capable of being a developer ourselves.
Complaining and making negative comments will not get things moving any
faster and just annoys the developers.

However I am quite sure that the developers and packagers do know that the
majority of users are being patient and not making a lot of noise - and
indeed are very appreciative of the efforts that are made with limited
resources in getting these fantastic new packages out as best they can and
in as timely a fashion as it is physically possible with the non-infinite
resource base....

Keep it up guys - I am one who does appreciate how things move forward.

Of course anyone who really cannot wait for KDE4.1+ can always opt to pay
for MS products if they think that is a better option!