Why are my files on cd truncated?

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Tue Feb 19 22:28:15 UTC 2008

Randy Easley wrote, On 02/19/2008 10:55 AM:
> Please help!
>
> I have a software update on a linux 7.2 kernel system and when I mount
> the cd and ll /mnt/cdrom/* I get truncated files?

truncated?
do you mean they don't have all the data in them, or that the file NAMES are
all truncated?
I suspect you mean file NAMES are truncated to something like 8 or 8.3 chars long.
which might happen if the system does not do Joliet, or Rock Ridge extensions.

  the _Red_Hat_ 7.2 system, that I still help maintain occasionally, If I
recall correctly reads cd's with long file names just fine. (fortunately been
a while since I had to set in front of it.)  I don't recall if the Joliet and
RR extensions were part of the iso9660 file system module back then or separate.

> All of them!
> I have never seen this before and I'm wondering if this is a kernel
> issue, but I have tried multiple cd's and I had 2 systems out of 500
> that are doing this!? What can happen to cause this?

are 498 of them also RH7.2 machines, or Win NT3.51? :0

> Any ideas as to why and how I can fix this burden greatly appreciated!

I assume upgrade is not allowed. :)

--
Todd Denniston