What to do?

Henning Larsen hennlar at start.no
Fri Feb 22 15:08:11 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 07:56 -0700, Robert Wuest wrote:
> Yes, files are missing from the burned CD. Hundreds of files are
> missing.  It is not a permissions problem.  My test of the data source
> is this:
>
>         find . -type f -exec cat "{}" ";" >/dev/null
>
> and that reports no problems.
>
> I have tried k3b and nautilus-cd-burner.  Nautilus-cd-burner hanging was
> the first symptom I noticed.  It is why I tried to re-log in and found
> the pam problem. Then the nautilus problem.
>
> I have not tried reinstalling the CD burners.
>
> Now I'm in a catch 22.  I can't burn a CD to try ubuntu!
>
> Robert
>
> On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 15:23 +0100, Henning Larsen wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 07:11 -0700, Robert Wuest wrote:
> > > I rebooted (I hate rebooting a Linux box, it's such an admission of
> > > defeat :) nautilus seems to be working for me, but the CD burner is
> > > still failing.
> >
> > In my opinion, when a problem appears I always reboot my pc.
> >
> > > Started a KDE session and k3b did burn a CD, only it was
> > > garbage because a bunch of files were just missing! No errors, just
> > > missing files.
> >
> > missing from the burned media?
> >
> > Have you tried "yum remove k3b" and then "yum install k3b"
> > Have you tried to burn with other programs?
> >

> > Henning Larsen

I am not an expert, and I have not read all your posts, but I would do a
reinstall of the burner-apps. Why haven't you?

One thing you could try is to burn with lower speed. Sometimes when i
burn at max speed on my cd-burner, files is missing. It is even possible
to see that the media is "weak" written.

Henning