FC8 and NFS service

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Feb 21 00:15:24 UTC 2008

Terry Polzin wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 February 2008 14:32, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> I am trying to replace a bunch of NFS servers with new machines running
>> FC8. The NFS server is doing some kind of evil security check which was
>> not present in FC1, causing connection rejects like "invalid port
>> XXXXXX" messages. Since the port works against the FC1 server, and there
>> are 120-140 clients per server, running various operating systems, the
>> solution lies in telling the NFS service to stop doing the unwanted
>> security check and treat anything coming through iptables as valid.
>>
>> Has someone a thought on this? Changing clients isn't going to happen,
>> and it seems the Solaris NFS server works (or the upgrade from FC1 might
>> be dropped).
>>
>> --
>> Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
>>    "We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from
>> the machinations of the wicked."  - from Slashdot
> Can we see your /etc/exports file?  You may need to add insecure to your
> exports to use some ports in newer NFS instances.

I'm not that far along, I have just been exporting with exportfs at the
moment, and I have turned secure mounts off. If that gets all clients
working I'll change to using insecure.

Newer instances is right, I'm building a FC9alpha1 test box as I type,
I'll test both client and server on FC[6789] and client on everything.

More later, thanks.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>