grub not working after kernel update

redhatdude at bellsouth.net redhatdude at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 4 19:28:28 UTC 2008

From: Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com>

> > >  This happened to me recently. I booted from a live cd and reinstalled
> > > grub. After that the system booted up. If you don't know how do it let
> > > us knows to get step by step instructions. EJ
> >
> > Thanks for all the help. Used rescue disk and reinstalled grub. Works
> > fine now.
>
>  	Heh, I wish I'd seen this earlier.  The same thing happened to me
> and now the box is feeling less than cooperative.  Could someone please
> post the step by step instructions for an oldtimer?  I'd google but I'm
> having to use a public box to access the 'Net at the moment.  If it's not
> to much trouble could you CC to joe.klemmer at gmail.com please?  It's bood
> to have a fallback.
>
> Joe

Get the live CD or the Fedora 9 Installer DVD.
Make sure your computer BIOS is configured to start from the cd/dvd, this is in case it doesn't boot up from the cd/dvd.
>From the CD open the terminal. From the Installer DVD select Rescue Mode.
>From the CD terminal become root by doing: su -
There's no password.
>From the DVD no need, you fall into a terminal.
1-Let's find your boot partition

fdisk -l

You'll get something like this among other things.
/dev/sda1   *           1          25      200781   83  Linux
/dev/sda2              26        4866    38885332+  8e  Linux LVM

See the asterisk? That's your boot partition, sda1. So now you know.

2- Let's restart the grub boot loader

type grub and press enter. You'll get this.

# grub
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.

    GNU GRUB  version 0.97  (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

 [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For the first word, TAB
   lists possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
   completions of a device/filename.]
grub>

3- At the grub prompt let's select the partition with the command root (hd0,0). Zero means the first one.
This is the output.

grub> root (hd0,0)
root (hd0,0)

If your boot partition is sda2 then the command would be: root (hd0,0). For sdb1: root (hd1,0). For sdb2: root (hd1,1). Got it?

4- Once the partition is selected, reinstall grub with this command.

setup (hd0)

Note. If your partition was sdb1 then setup (hd1)

5- Now enter quit at the grub prompt and reboot.

If you have any problems, post here the errors as well as the output of fdisk -l

Hope that helps.
EJ