RhythmBox wants text/html decoder plugin ??

Timothy Selivanow timothy.selivanow at virtualxistenz.com
Wed Jul 16 05:53:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 01:08 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi Tim;
>
> On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 10:07 +0930, Tim wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 16:14 -0400, William Case wrote:
> > > Error messages:
> > >
> > > "A text/html decoder plugin is required to play this stream, but not
> > > installed."
> > >
> > > I can find no such plugin. Trying to get
> > > http://www.cbc.ca/listen/streams/r1_ottawa_32.html
> > > working.
> >
> > Here, I get Totem saying it wants a WMA 8 plugin.  I wonder if you got a
> > HTTP error page during the attempt, and it's goofily trying to display
> > that?
> >
> > I can't remember how to stop Totem taking over browser media embedding
> > to try another system (beyond the obvious, of yum removing all of
> > totem).
>
> What is really annoying is that I had both working for a week.  Then,
> today after some upgrades (I am not sure there is a connection) I went
> to use Rhythmbox and I started getting text/html decoder plugin
> warning.

Bill,

I can successfully play the audio stream you are wanting by using
http://www.cbc.ca/livemedia/cbcr1-ottawa.asx as the URL instead of the
one you listed above.  I did it by looking at the source of the webpage
(to my knowledge, rhythmbox has never been able to parse and extract a
stream from HTML...how would it know what stream if there were more than
one?) and creating a new "Internet Radio Station".  Also, since it is a
windows media stream, you'll need gstreamer-plugins-bad and/or
gstreamer-plugins-ugly (I'm not sure which one specifically, I always
install both).  I assume you know how/where to get that...

Now, if you want to go to the HTML page and just have rhythmbox open it
up, I think you'll need to do a combination of disabling JavaScript for
that page (there's a JavaScript player that is wrapping the URL) and
also tell your browser that you don't want to use the totem plugin for
that media/mime-type.

--Tim (different one than above)